So, after the fiasco last month of trying to figure out what 100-miler to sign up for and be able to qualify for Western States, I think I’ve finally got it figured out.
Here is what my schedule looks like so far:
- January 16th Phunt 50k
- March 19th HAT Run 50k
- April 9th North Face Endurance Challenge – DC 50-miler
- June 11th – Laurel Highlands 70.5 miler (WS qualifier/on wait list)
- July 9th – Mount Hood 50-miler (in the lottery)
- September 23rd – Mountain Lakes 100 (registration in February)
I’ve decided to go with my heart and run Mountain Lakes 100 and take my chances on getting into the Laurel Highlands 70.5 miler through the wait list. Currently, I’m number 7 on the wait list and I won’t know until just a couple of weeks before whether or not I’ll get in. But my chances are good as they typically go 20 – 25 deep into the wait list.
I may add a couple of shorter distance races or even a marathon if my coach recommends it and I’ll keep you posted on that, but having six ultras on the books seems like enough to me…well…it’s enough for my wallet any way. Otherwise, I’d run a race every freaking weekend!
My goal this year…stay healthy and injury free, and get faster. It’s a goal that I didn’t want to have, but it’s kinda the next thing I feel I need to conquer. As I said before, it scares me. So while I’ve already started training, it’s now official, official…let the race season begin!
Things I need to do:
- Find a crew and pacer for both Laurel Highlands and Mountain Lakes 100
- Buckle down with nutrition
- Stay focused
- Run fast, real fast!
- Get a lot of hill work in
- Run up the hills fast…or hike faster than I do now
- Get lighter on my feet…I must break my Sasquatch stomp!
- Strengthen my hips and my core
- Find good shoes (I’m struggling with this now)
First race of 2016 is coming up in about 12 days! ACK!
Are you running any of these races? Have you run them in the past? What’s your target race for 2016?